February 23th was probably one of the foggiest mornings we've seen in the Austin area all year. However, we were SO thankful this styled session went on as planned, as it was already rescheduled from the original planned weekend, a few weekends prior (you might remember as Texas's own snow/ice - magedon; we're trying to forget it over here).
Luckily, Andy and his gorgeous new venue, 71 West, invited us for this session just two weekends later instead, on a day that the venue also hosted an open house of their own that afternoon, meaning everything was impeccably put together for our session that morning!
This venue has SO much to offer. Around every corner there are more unexpected and gorgeous spaces full of so much character already. From the Hill Country views and thoughtfully pieced together modern and clean rustic decor, as well as ample space to add your own touches and for additional hired vendors in order to create your own one-of-a-kind Big Day!
Choosing 71 West as your venue will ensure an unforgettable space for you and your guests to eat, drink, dance, and celebrate!
SO many thank you's to all the vendors involved in this Classic Valentine styled session!
Venue: 71 West
Stylist/Planners: Texas Hill Country Collective
Bride : Tiffany Lok
Groom: Hardin Cosner
Gown Designer: Texas Hill Country Collective
Florals: Lemon Leaf Florals
Rentals: Premiere Events
Furniture Rentals: Bee Lavish
Stationary/Flatlay: Unlost Calligraphy Co
Decor: Texas Hill Country Collective
A Bride Fit for a Runway
It’s pretty appropriate that we are in the midst of some of the fall fashion weeks (Paris’s ended on October 1 and NYC’s Bridal Fashion Week is currently walking), as this bridal shower last weekend felt as if guests were gathering around the runway on a perfect Sunday afternoon. Not only was the bride, family, and guests all dressed impeccably in some of today’s top trends, but the bride ensured that every detail of the day was well thought out and perfectly executed, all among the jaw-dropping backdrop for the day, which consisted of the New York City skyline. Being a major fan of the small details myself, capturing her shower was my absolute dream!
Baby pictures of the bride and groom-to-be in their respective Sunday school photos were displayed at the entrance in which guests were asked to find the pair. Guests shared many laughs as they gathered around looking at the photos. Turns out, this was a last-minute detail that the bride added in just that weekend – and I think everyone is SO glad that she did! I loved overhearing one of the guests looking at the pictures and exclaiming, “Oh, they’re just meant to be!”
Guests enjoyed a variety of delicious foods and drinks, provided by Molo’s restaurant, in the beautiful natural-light venue, but some of the food details provided by the bride really made the event a memorable and awe-inspiring occasion for guests. The cake was perfectly designed to match the white and pink elements theme for the day, and included two different flavored cakes for guests to select between. While guests were sent home with re-useable floral coffee cups, the bride also included a white and silver inspired dessert bar for guests to take with them as a sweet treat before gathering again for the big day!
A short guessing game was played (which included diamond pens to fill out answers), in order to find out who knew the bride best, but one of the biggest highlights of the day was the extended amount of action the dance floor saw, with music provided by DJ Barko. The dance floor was rarely empty and that’s how I knew, these were my kind of people!
The wedding is promised to be a night to remember for all that will be present later this fall!
Cheers to the happy couple!
AHH! You’re engaged! Now what?? One of the immediate and more fun parts of the process is scheduling and planning your engagement session!
While this is the perfect opportunity to get a feel for a photographer & help you decide if you want to book them for your big day, it’s also a great opportunity for you and your S/O to practice posing and being comfortable in front of the camera for your big day!
Ultimately making you feel comfortable and look natural is up to your photographer’s ability to direct you effectively. But engagement photos is an opportunity for you to display who you are as a couple in less formal images than the ones you will take on your WEDDING DAY (that’s right you’re getting MARRIED!)
I always tell clients to consider possibly including a place or props that’s special to their relationship and bring something into them that really represents them.
This sweet couple brought in ice cream from their favorite homemade ice cream shop!
The beach was the chosen location for this engagement session, as the bride-to-be loves the beach, but the honeymoon is in Europe, so a beach engagement session was their compromise!
While this couple got married in Lancaster, PA, but this Philadelphia neighborhood was so important to them as it was where they met and built a life together!
Ultimately, there are endless possibilities, but it’s such a great opportunity to not only get your guests excited for the big day with your save the dates, but these will be images you can hang in your home that are not so formal, but more ultimately you!
After being a photographer in the northern NJ area for the past three years, I thought I was spoiled with the amount of open fields, sunsets, farms, and gardens that I was lucky enough to do sessions in. And don’t get me wrong I still am sooo happy I get to go back and embrace that element of natural light photography on a few dates this summer (look forward to the announcement of some of those dates soon!) However, moving to Philadelphia during the winter especially, has made me realize what a great location this is going to be for my business.
While historically, the founding fathers of the city prided themselves on creating a GREEN city, which is evident by not only the four famous grassy squares surrounding City Hall (Logan, Rittenhouse, Washington, and Franklin), but also by the shear amount of little grassy parks found tucked away throughout the city. I am so excited to spend more time in these areas as everything starts to bloom.
But what makes this an even better backdrop is the fact that things don’t need to be in bloom to create beautiful images here! While the shear cold is what makes this the off-season for photographers in the northeast, this city is still painted with an immeasurable amount of backdrops to make any time of year an great opportunity for a session. Historic buildings in Old City create a classic backdrop for the young family on a tour through the city. With the city on a severe incline right now, there are also some serious modern elements for the young chique couple to use as the backdrop of their engagement photos. Tons of quaint neighborhoods are the perfect scene for a homey and nurturing maternity session. Not to mention the city is proud to be labeled as the city of brotherly love, in which just “love” in general is highlighted throughout the city, perfect for a couple’s 50-year anniversary session.
I feel so lucky to be surrounded by so many photo opportunities and can’t wait for the upcoming busy season to dive deeper into all the city has to offer and to share in some amazing experiences with future couples and families.
I am officially taking bookings for 2019! Contact email@example.com today to set up your amazing Philadelphia photo session!
Family photo sessions can always have their challenges. While the goal of my sessions is always to produce authentic images that make people feel some kind of emotion when looking at them, when you add little ones in the mix, or even camera-shy adults, photos that were supposed to look natural can instead look painfully posed and just plain awkward. But here's some tips to make sure that doesn't happen during your family's session!
1. FULL BELLIES - No one, and I mean NO ONE, kids or adults are happy when they're hungry. But a lot of families will often make a day out of their sessions, have an early afternoon session and then head out to dinner afterwards as a nice reward for all that hard work. I'm all for the reward system to motivate everyone and I love a good restaurant night, but if that's your plan, make sure you have some appetizers at least prior to your session.
2. Also HYDRATE!! This may seem obvious, but often times our bodies are dehydrated without telling us that we’re thirsty. Even being minorly dehydrated can decrease a person’s energy. Water also helps the digestive system and skin and leaves us feeling our best! It’s something we often forget to do, but make sure on the day of your session everyone is happy and hydrated!
3. Leave yourself MORE TIME THAN YOU THINK to get ready! In my experience a lot of mom’s aim to wait till the last minute to get their children in their nice, picture perfect clothes. My advice to you is to get everyone dressed and ready EARLIER than you think! We don’t want fully dirty clothes in the pictures, but trust me, it’s a lot easier for your photographer to edit out a few grass stains than to alter facial expressions. Often times when families are rushed the session feels stressful, rather than fun! Unfortunately, this can really show on family member’s facial expressions. Give yourself more than enough time to leisurely get ready and relax rather than rushing around the hour before your session.
4. BE ROLE MODELS – the kids (and pets for that matter) will feed off their parent’s energy. Often times, the dads especially will be a bit camera shy. SO listen up! Whatever you need to do to make sure mom and dad are relaxed during the session, will seriously make the entire family and the photos that much better! If dad needs to go golfing that morning, mom needs to get a pedicure, make it happen! Relaxed parents make for relaxing children and in the end natural looking pictures! Make session day, a great day!
5. APPRECIATE THE TIME—Your photographer will likely be asking you to reflect on family memories, tell jokes, or find other ways to make your family feel comfortable and laugh. Enjoy these precious moments. This is a special experience that not every family gets to partake in. Enjoy the time outside with your family and look forward to the amazing artwork of your family that is to come!
If you’re in the Philadelphia area, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set up your family session today!
Alex began Alex Ann Photography in 2015, but has been taking pictures since she was a child. Alex enjoys nothing more than a glowy-sunlit session and spending time laughing and interacting with her clients during sessions.